Use Distribution List to quickly distribute reports to a large number of users in a single click. Reports can be sent by e-mail or simply saved to a folder in a variety of formats. You have the freedom to include specific content (sheets/tabs) or use different parameters (company, branch, division, financial period, etc.) based on the recipient. Highly sensitive data can be password protected.
Example use cases:
- E-mail a monthly performance dashboard in PDF format to the manager of every location of your 200-location business.
- Send detailed financials to your area/group managers in Excel format.
- Prepare a complete financial reporting package for your shareholders, removing Acumatica formulas and hyperlinks for people without access to your ERP system.
- Archive the final version of your monthly reports to a network share with clear and consistent naming.
- E-mail a PDF version of your project progress report to project managers every week.
These are just some examples of what can be achieved — Report Distribution lists are extremely versatile, powerful, yet very simple to use.
How to use the Report Distribution feature
From any spreadsheet, start by creating a blank Report Distribution list. To do so, click on New Distribution List
What you will then see is a new spreadsheet that contains all the fields needed to set up report distribution:
Simply fill in the blanks. Here’s a description of all the different settings:
- Format: the output file format. The dropdown menu offers you PDF, Excel, Excel (remove all formulas) and Excel (remove Velixo formulas) formats. The last option works like the Copy Workbook Without Formulas button — note that as of version 4, only the Acumatica-specific functions are removed and other Excel formulas are left intact.
- File Name: the name of the generated file. If you don’t put any extension, it will be defaulted based on the selected format and the current file extension. If you want to overwrite existing files, you can set the Overwrite Existing File option to Yes in the top section of the Distribution List worksheet.
Tip: the file name can be dynamic and based on a formula. For example:
=”Financials for period”&P&L!A1&”.pdf”.
Assuming the financial period is set in cell A1 of the P&L sheet, this would give you a file named “Financials for period 01–2019.pdf”
- Tab Selection: the list of tabs/sheets to be included in the generated report. When blank, every tab is included. Use a semicolon (;) to separate the list of tabs to include.
- Path: if you want to save the report to disk, enter the full path of the folder where the file will be saved.
Tip: save it to a folder that is synchronized with Box, Dropbox, OneDrive or any other cloud storage service for easy online sharing.
- Email To: if you want the report to be e-mailed (via Outlook), enter the email address(es) of the recipients. Addresses should be separated by a semicolon (;). By default, e-mails are saved to your drafts folder in Outlook. The Email Delivery option in the top section of the Distribution List worksheet offers two additional options: Open draft and Send immediately.
- Email Subject: the subject of the email message. Can be static or dynamic and based on a formula like every other setting.
- Email Body: the main part of the email message. It contains the message’s text.
- File Password: allows you to secure your file by setting up a password that will be required before the file can be viewed.
- Attachments (requires Velixo v5 or higher): allows you to attach additional files to the email. Enter the full file path of the file you want to attach. To attach multiple files simply list them separated by a semi-colon. (ex.: C:\path\to\FileA.pdf; C:\path\to\FileB.xlsx)
To start the distribution process, click Distribute All in the Excel toolbar.
By default the distribution list shows 10 (blank) rows, but you are free to add as many as you want. An Excel workbook can contain multiple distribution lists, so if you have different monthly/quarterly/yearly runs or simply occasional distribution requirements, feel free to add as many lists as you need and give your lists unique and memorable names.
Report parameters (company, branch, division, financial period, etc.)
Reports can be run with different parameters for each recipient. You can configure the parameters in the Distribution List by adding new columns to the list. The name of the column should match a named range in your spreadsheet. Velixo Reports will apply the parameters automatically during distribution.
Here’s a completed example: